Story Behind The Recipe
Rice is a staple in Dar es Salaam I like to shake it up by using coconut to enhance the flavour of the rice.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups coconut milk (I prefer to use Kentaste coconut milk)
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 2 heaping Tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. coconut oil (I prefer to use Kentaste coconut oil)
- 1-2 Tbsp. desiccated coconut for garnish
1. Rub coconut oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. You will also need a tight-fitting lid.
Place rice, coconut milk, water, desiccated coconut, mustard seeds and salt in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat. Stir occasionally
2. Once the liquid has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum).
3. Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer 15-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
4. Replace the lid and turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes.
5. Place 1 Tbsp. desiccated coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir (“dry fry”) until light golden brown. Top rice with a sprinkling of toasted coconut
6. When ready to serve, fluff rice with a fork.
7. Add salt to taste.
|Number of Servings