One pot Chicken Curry Rice
Story Behind The Recipe
I came up with this recipe as a quick way of making a lovely meal without using oil. And its all done in one pot.
- Chicken Thighs 4 pieces
- 1 cup of Mbeya Rice
- Half a Yellow Pepper (If small one whole)
- Half a red Pepper (If small one whole)
- One medium size onion
- 1 and a 1/2 Teaspoon of Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 1 Cup water
1. Wash your chicken and remove skin (Optional, you can cook with the skin if that is your preference).
2. Half the onion and cut into slices.
3. Cut the peppers into cubes
4. Place your chicken in a non stick pot, wash your cumin seeds and add to the chicken.
5. Add the curry powder, garlic powder and salt to taste. Mix until the chicken is fully covered. Cover the pot and leave for 15 minutes.
6. Add the onions and butter to the pot and place over a high heat. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
7. Add water and the bay leaf to the chicken. Cover and allow to come to a boil.
8. Remove the bay leaf and add peppers and rice, reduce heat to medium for 10 minutes then turn the rice add the soy sauce and reduce the heat to low. Depending on your cooker you may have to reduce to low sooner. Once the water is no longer visible above the rice you can turn the rice and reduce to a low heat. If you have an oven at this stage you can place the rice at 180 Degrees Celsius, for 15 minutes.
9. Turn the rice to check if it evenly cooked, if not you can add a little more water and continue to cook . If the rice is done, serve with a kachumbari or fruit (I used mangoes)
|Number of Servings
||2 - 3